It is very important for both railroad workers and their spouses to be well informed about what is involved if the worker is injured on the job.

When an injury occurs on the railroad, many responsibilities may fall on the spouse. The wife or husband of the injured worker may be suddenly faced with having to make important decisions about medical, legal and financial issues. It can be a very stressful and confusing time and sometimes these burdens can seem overwhelming. However, if you are armed with knowledge about the process and know where to look for help the weight of these burdens is more manageable. Since railroad workers are covered under a special federal law known as the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA), always talk to a lawyer who specializes in this complex area of the law.

The checklist below provides some basic steps for a husband or wife to take in the event their spouse is injured. The attorneys and staff at Rossi Vucinovich Flaskamp are always available to answer any additional questions you may have. 


What should you do in the event you learn your railroad spouse has been injured on the job?

  • Obtain the very best medical care that you can through your own doctors, using your own private insurance.
  • Contact Designated Legal Counsel who specializes in FELA and union officials for additional information and free, confidential, reliable advice.
  • Be sure the accident has been reported to the railroad and to the union.
  • Insist that your spouse not give a recorded or written statement to a claim agent or anyone else until you have had an opportunity to discuss the matter with counsel or union officials.       You have a right to confidentiality and privacy in dealing with your injuries.
  • Write down the names, addresses and phone numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident.
  • Keep records of any out-of-pocket expenses due to the accident.
  • If your spouse has a disability insurance policy, contact the insurance company to begin receiving payments.
  • Apply to the Railroad Retirement Board for sickness benefits to which your spouse is entitled to under the law.