As an insured, you rely on your insurance company to provide coverage when you need it most. However, when your insurance company denies your claim or fails to act in good faith, you may find yourself in a difficult and frustrating situation.
Too often, insurers offer you a “low ball” settlement to your claim or impose other barriers to a timely recovery. You paid for your insurance coverage, but very often your insurer fights you when you finally need your benefits. For insureds in Washington State, the Insurance Fair Conduct Act (IFCA) provides important protections in such situations.
What is the IFCA?
The IFCA is a 2007 law that allows insureds to take legal action against their insurance companies for unfair or deceptive practices. Examples of such practices that may violate IFCA include:
- Failing to promptly investigate a claim: Your insurance company may be violating IFCA if they fail to investigate your claim in a timely manner, causing unreasonable delays in your claim process.
- Denying a claim: If your insurance company denies your claim without a reasonable basis, you may have a claim under IFCA. For example, if you make a claim for underinsured motorists’ benefits, and your insurance company denies or limits the claim without providing a reasonable explanation, the company may have violated IFCA.
- Failing to provide a reasonable explanation for denying a claim: Your insurance company must provide a reasonable explanation for denying your claim. If they fail to do so, you may have a claim under IFCA.
- Misrepresenting policy provisions: Your insurance company may be violating IFCA if they misrepresent the terms of your policy or make false promises regarding coverage.
- Failing to defend or indemnify: If your insurance company fails to defend or indemnify you in a claim against you, they may be violating IFCA. For example, if you are sued for damages caused by your business, and your insurance company refuses to defend or indemnify you, they may have violated IFCA.
Contact Rossi Vucinovich for Help!
If you believe that your insurance company has acted unfairly or deceptively, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney at Rossi Vucinovich who can help you navigate the complex legal process. Our team can help you understand your rights under IFCA and can help you build a strong case against your insurance company. With the help of an attorney, you may be able to recover up to treble damages as well as your attorney’s fees, which can make a significant difference in your financial recovery. Contact a Rossi Vucinovich attorney now!
We can help you understand your rights and can help you pursue the compensation that you deserve. When the insurer tries to bully you, we’ve got your back. Contact us now and let us help!
Leave a Comment